If you spend a lot of time on the internet then you’re probably aware that blogging has become a huge phenomenon over the last 5 years or so. It seems that almost every man and his dog is writing a blog at the moment, although often blogs are of personal nature and rarely interest anyone beyond the writer’s friends and family.
However, there’s another type of blog that’s been gaining in popularity which is what you need to be concerned with, and that’s the business blog.
Many business owners are finding tremendous value in having a blog for the following reasons:
- It’s an easy publishing tool. A blog is essentially a simple content management system that allows you to easily write and publish new pages to your website at the push of a button.
- A blog allows you to easily communicate with your clients and prospects in a non-intrusive manner. Websites quite often lack personality, but a well written blog can easily help you project your personality. Ultimately, people like to do business with a real person (and usually a person they like) and a blog can demonstrate there’s a real human being behind your business which should have the affect of making you more approachable.
- A blog can be used to demonstrate your expertise or knowledge in a particular area. If people regard you as an expert or a leading authority in what you do then they will be far more likely to use your services.
- A blog can significantly increase the amount of traffic to your website. Each new blog you write will be indexed by Google and if you optimise each new blog post for a particular keyword phrase then it could easily rank well for that phrase.
- A blog can be a nice easy way to get client feedback. Most blogs offer the reader the ability to leave a comment below a blog post. This can help you improve existing products/services, or develop new ones.
- A blog can make your website ‘sticky’ and encourage repeat visits. If your website does nothing more than promote your services then there’s very little reason for anyone to return, but if your website is constantly providing new and useful content through your blog then people will more likely keep on returning and that keeps you in their awareness.
- Blogs are designed to be used by anyone who can use a computer. Once the blog has been setup it is incredibly simple for you to update with little or no training.